Brentwood Rugby Club - the story so far.....
The club was originally formed in 1935 at a meeting held at the White Hart, and ran for 4 seasons before the outbreak of war in September 1939
In 1953 the post- war revival of the club was lead by Tony Smyth - Tyrrell and "Sonny" Collard - a pre war player, adverts for players were posted in the Brentwood Gazette, and probably out of shear desperation, an advert was also broadcasted twice nightly, for a week, at the now defunct Palace cinema.
In early September 14 players took the field in a trial match against Chelmsford RFC. Not deterred by the lack of players the club embarked on a full list of fixtures, in the inaugural season, mainly against the lower sides of the existing established Essex clubs, the first victory of the reformed club was recorded in October when a Shoeburyness Garrison Defaulters XV was decisively defeated. At times army personnel based at Warley barracks implemented the playing strength at the club.
During the 1960's a large contingent of Welsh players, most of whom took up teaching posts in the area brought a welcome increment of talent and steel to the 1st team and the standard of play advanced rapidly.
By the early 1970's the club was fielding 5 sides every week.
In season 1972/3 the club introduced touch rugby for youngsters to enjoy, which over the years has grown into a thriving and successful mini/midi and youth section.
In 1974 the club reached the final of the Essex cup and also reached the semi- finals 5 times between 1976 - 1982.
2010 - 11 marked the 75th anniversary of the club's original formation.